Are these Vloggers just a scam? SOL or Shmee etc? (Vol 2)

Are these Vloggers just a scam? SOL or Shmee etc? (Vol 2)

Author
Discussion

TheAngryDog

9,150 posts

153 months

Tuesday 13th August
quotequote all
JaredVannett said:
TheAngryDog said:
It's all car crash YT, and I find it amusing. I do not revel in people's down fall, but their naivety is astounding.
Says the guy who bought an E60 M5 twice after the first one drained his wallet - PMSL.
I have only ever owned one E60 M5. It seems that maths isn't your strong point. I knew perfectly well what I was doing when I decided to fix my car. Buying any car second hand often leads to buying someone else's problems, regardless of the car. My car has a fresh engine, good gearbox, new clutch and so on. It'll outlast my ownership.

Also, you've shown the kind of person you are by taking pleasure from my troubles, you're one to avoid.

johnwilliams77

5,573 posts

47 months

Tuesday 13th August
quotequote all
p1stonhead said:
Not strange for pistonheads.
Nor for grown men to be pissing themselves!

TheAngryDog

9,150 posts

153 months

Tuesday 13th August
quotequote all
johnwilliams77 said:
p1stonhead said:
Not strange for pistonheads.
Nor for grown men to be pissing themselves!
Should probably see a Doctor for that. Or invest in some of these https://www.tena.co.uk/men/


johnwilliams77

5,573 posts

47 months

Tuesday 13th August
quotequote all
This is actually a decent video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfu4JCUd3E - he's listening.

Smacko

20 posts

19 months

Tuesday 13th August
quotequote all
johnwilliams77 said:
This is actually a decent video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfu4JCUd3E - he's listening.
I doubt he is.

But to be fair to TGE, his more serious content is always good. And even the silly stuff is good.

I am interested in the 912 journey.

The Li-ion King

781 posts

8 months

Tuesday 13th August
quotequote all
johnwilliams77 said:
This is actually a decent video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfu4JCUd3E - he's listening.
It was interesting after the initial churn of the Vincero watches... Quite a big bill, which for him is loose change, or a new pair of Balenciaga trainers.

At 18 minutes, 20 seconds in you see the list of 35 faults which need attention, which shows not so much as TLC for this car over it's 53 year life, more a series of bodges to keep it going. Watching him trying to crank the engine to get the thing (as he called it) going whilst in the petrol station was tough... I've been there, but it was a little different in an aging Mini Metro back in the day rolleyes

It might prove a difficult car as a daily if not used to the dogleg gearbox, single wing mirror on driver's side, not so sharp brakes, but an interesting project. Let's see how this 6k gets spent in the coming weeks...

Shnozz

20,645 posts

215 months

Tuesday 13th August
quotequote all
The Li-ion King said:
It was interesting after the initial churn of the Vincero watches... Quite a big bill, which for him is loose change, or a new pair of Balenciaga trainers.

At 18 minutes, 20 seconds in you see the list of 35 faults which need attention, which shows not so much as TLC for this car over it's 53 year life, more a series of bodges to keep it going. Watching him trying to crank the engine to get the thing (as he called it) going whilst in the petrol station was tough... I've been there, but it was a little different in an aging Mini Metro back in the day rolleyes

It might prove a difficult car as a daily if not used to the dogleg gearbox, single wing mirror on driver's side, not so sharp brakes, but an interesting project. Let's see how this 6k gets spent in the coming weeks...
I was of the opposite view. A £600 bill for any car with that badge, let alone of that age, seems peanuts. Equally, a £6k bill to get it in pretty top notch shape seems reasonable. I've paid the best part of that for a service on a 5 year old Boxster S (albeit it needed a new air con compressor, clutch, discs/pads and so was a major service).

At least it gives a different perspective. I have always run s/h sports cars that have been prone to throwing up bills of £2k + with fairly minor faults so its water off a ducks back. Similarly, mates of mine have bought new cars via finance that have meant zero bills or minimal servicing costs at most. Some years they've been better off for it (as well as having the new car), and its interesting at least to compare the real world costs of running something non-warranty that needs some TLC that comes at a cost.

I'll admit to having v little love for any car vloggers but these 912 videos are far more interesting than a lot I have skim flicked for a long while. It's also the car I would most like to have in my garage for a long while too.

0a

21,332 posts

138 months

Tuesday 13th August
quotequote all
I really enjoyed that TGE video. Bravo on him going for an interesting car when he can clearly afford all the usual Youtuber motors.

Gio G

2,107 posts

153 months

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
I have been watching Sidways sid's material for a while. I met him some months ago and thought he was a very genuine guy, true petrol head. Those that follow him will know he just changed his Cayman GT4 for a McLaren 12C, personally think that was a good move.. still cannot believe the value of these things, sub £80k for what is a lovely supercar!! Still think it probably one of the best looking McLaren's..

G

ColdoRS

947 posts

71 months

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
johnwilliams77 said:
This is actually a decent video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfu4JCUd3E - he's listening.
Good video, enjoyed that.

I had a sigh/chuckle when was punting cheap st £150 watches in the intro, then when it cuts to the video he’s wearing a £50k PP Aquanaut laugh I think i detected a bit of sarcasm/sillyness in his ‘ad’ though, as if he knows he’s just working at that point.

Looking forward to following the 912 stuff for sure.

familyguy1

684 posts

76 months

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
Gio G said:
I have been watching Sidways sid's material for a while. I met him some months ago and thought he was a very genuine guy, true petrol head. Those that follow him will know he just changed his Cayman GT4 for a McLaren 12C, personally think that was a good move.. still cannot believe the value of these things, sub £80k for what is a lovely supercar!! Still think it probably one of the best looking McLaren's..

G
I really like sidways sid's presenting style and vids.

Good on him to change his beloved GT4.

deserves more subscribers IMHO.

J4CKO

27,777 posts

144 months

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
1602Mark said:
Are we really back to questioning/slating people for the financial positions?
I dont get that, because someone has perhaps come from a wealthy background, does that mean they shouldn't ever do anything themselves ?

Its another way to just piss on someone chips, if someone is seen to be doing well or has something nice there does seem a tendency to try and explain it away by citing their background.

Its like if someone is in good shape "Of course I would be if I had a personal trainer, chef and fook all to do all day and took loads of steroids"

Of course some youtubers will have had a leg up, some may even have ill-gotten gains from other sources but need to really just take stuff on face value and either watch it, or not.

Wibbling on about whether their parents were rich just sounds a bit jealous and mealy mouthed, sometimes life isnt fair, sometimes you are up, sometimes you are down, just need to keep striving for your self and not worry about whether someone else has a fleet of supercars.




InitialDave

5,042 posts

63 months

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
Odd, I thought I replied on this earlier.

I'm not much interested in TGE's normal content, but I watched both the classic videos, and I'll likely watch any others he puts out about it.

RobDown

3,506 posts

72 months

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
This worries me.

Generally when this thread agrees that they like a video it flops (see Tim and his Mille Miglia vid)

egor110

11,624 posts

147 months

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
J4CKO said:
1602Mark said:
Are we really back to questioning/slating people for the financial positions?
I dont get that, because someone has perhaps come from a wealthy background, does that mean they shouldn't ever do anything themselves ?

Its another way to just piss on someone chips, if someone is seen to be doing well or has something nice there does seem a tendency to try and explain it away by citing their background.

Its like if someone is in good shape "Of course I would be if I had a personal trainer, chef and fook all to do all day and took loads of steroids"

Of course some youtubers will have had a leg up, some may even have ill-gotten gains from other sources but need to really just take stuff on face value and either watch it, or not.

Wibbling on about whether their parents were rich just sounds a bit jealous and mealy mouthed, sometimes life isnt fair, sometimes you are up, sometimes you are down, just need to keep striving for your self and not worry about whether someone else has a fleet of supercars.
Surely you watch a video and either it’s good so you watch some more , or it’s not good and you don’t watch anymore time ?



washingitagain

16 posts

1 month

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
Quite enjoyed TGE's latest Porsche videos too. He doesn't claim to be a car expert which is interesting as he'll be paying lots to get that car sorted by specialists (that recent quote didn't include bodywork I assume which will be a lot).

Although when he said about possibly touring the green Porsche around Europe it didn't sound the most original idea!

Meridius

1,208 posts

96 months

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
I thought it was boring as fk, the guys trying to do a series on a classic Porsche and we havent got to see anything of it cos its just rambling in the drivers seat, then listing off a sheet of paper in his flat and trying to shill us off some watch brand... I get there is sure more to come but this video was pointless no?

Pommy

9,939 posts

160 months

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
Good to see TGE do a sales pitch on Vincero watches telling us how good they are then spend the rest of the video wearing his AP...

sixspeed

2,019 posts

216 months

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
AlexNJ89 said:
I have no idea either. Unlike the others, Tony loses a lot on his cars, he buys things like his Mercedes GTR brand new and sells them at a loss a year later and genuinely doesn't care.
He has the benefit he can get full retail for them though , and not suffer on the spread of trade/part-ex values.



TCS1

491 posts

79 months

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
Meridius said:
I thought it was boring as fk, the guys trying to do a series on a classic Porsche and we havent got to see anything of it cos its just rambling in the drivers seat, then listing off a sheet of paper in his flat and trying to shill us off some watch brand... I get there is sure more to come but this video was pointless no?
I sort of agree - if you've got the list of work required, why not walk around the car with it and show the viewer aswell - where possible. Just doesn't come across genuine even if he is.